Nobody likes to have a dirty car. They are a big financial investment and people create a relationship with their car. Keeping it clean is part of it. The problem is that regular car wash places can do a lot of harm. They can scratch the paint by using towels that are not properly cleaned. Automated car washes are probably the worst.
Cleaning a car at home is probably the best thing a car owner can do. To do this, not a lot of things are required and the most important one is a microfiber towel. Microfiber towels help remove contaminants and do not leave lint behind. They are inexpensive, do not scratch the paint and they can be reused after being rewashed. Since they are so practical and great to have for every car owner, we picked 10 microfiber towels for cars based on the value they offer, size and quality. Here are the top 10 best microfiber towels for cars.
Table of Contents
- Best Microfiber Towels for Cars in 2018
- 10. The Rag Company Professional Edgeless Microfiber Towel
- 9. Microfiber Wholesale Detailing Premium Automotive Microfiber Towel
- 8. Kirkland Signature Ultra High Pile Premium Microfiber Towels
- 7. iTavah Car Detailing Towels
- 6. Sinland Ultra Thick Plush Microfiber Car Cleaning Towels
- 5. Chemical Guys El Gordo Professional Extra Thick Supra Microfiber Towels
- 4. Chemical Guys Waffle Weave Gray Matter Microfiber Drying Towel
- 3. DII Microfiber Multi-Purpose Cleaning Towels
- 2. Chemical Guys Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Towel
- 1. Meguiar’s X2000 Water Magnet Microfiber Drying Towel
- Things to keep in mind when looking for the best microfiber towels for cars
Best Microfiber Towels for Cars in 2018
10. The Rag Company Professional Edgeless Microfiber Towel
The Rag Company does not make just rags. It also makes their professional edgeless microfiber towels which are quite decent and not too expensive. They are designed mainly for work on metal and detailing cars for the ones that clean their car at home.
Being designed for detailing, the towels are not that great for drying. They do not absorb a lot of water. They are great for pretty much anything else such as polishing or cleaning. It can also be used to remove excess polish, sealant or even wax.
The quality of the towels is quite decent. They are a 70/30 blend with 365 gsm and do not leave any lint behind. Cleaning them is straight forward as they are machine wash safe. As for size, the towels come in 16 by 16 inches.
- All-purpose microfiber towels
- Large 16 by 16 inches
- Does not leave lint behind
- Durable, withstands many wash cycles
9. Microfiber Wholesale Detailing Premium Automotive Microfiber Towel
Microfiber Wholesale offers a great set of towels available in 3 different sizes. They have 16 by 16 inches, 16 by 24 inches and 24 by 36 inches. All of them are made from the same soft material and can be found in either blue or grey.
The towels have a 550 gsm, making them quite thick and heavy. They were designed to be used for cleaning windows and metal thus they work great on a car. The towels can be used to remove sealants, to buff and polish or to just remove impurities.
As far as water absorption, the towels are not that great. They can still be used for drying. The towels are machine wash safe and have rounded edges. They were made to not leave any lint and not scratch the car paint.
- Rounded corners and piped edges to avoid scratches
- Available in 3 sizes and 2 colors
- Thick 550 gsm
- Can be used to remove wax, sealants and other contaminants
8. Kirkland Signature Ultra High Pile Premium Microfiber Towels
The Kirkland premium microfiber towels offer an excellent deal for the money. They actually come in a large pack of 36 towels that can be used for pretty much any type of work on a car. They can be used to dry the car, remove contaminants, wax or they can even be used to clean the windows.
Even if the towel are so inexpensive and they come in a large multi-pack, they are machine washable meaning that a pack will last even for several years before needing to get new microfiber towels.
As far as quality goes, the towels are a bit thin but they do absorb a bit of water. They do not scratch the paint and are quite soft to the touch. Like most other towels, they are made to not leave any lint on the car’s paint.
- Comes in a large pack of 36
- Machine washable
- Decent for water absorption
- Can be used to clean the paint and windows
7. iTavah Car Detailing Towels
iTavah offers a decent pack of 3 microfiber towels for a competitive price tag. They are well made, quite heavy and can be used for plenty of things. Because they are thicker, the towels have a high capacity of absorbing water.
Compared to other microfiber towels, these ones are much thicker. They are 840 gsm towels which also gives them strength. The towels can absorb up to 10 times their weight and can survive many machine wash cycles before needing to be replaced.
The quality of the towels is quite impressive. They are very soft to the touch and will not leave any scratches behind. Their color does not fade and they are completely light-free. They are not great for buffing but they can be used to wide off contaminants and remove water.
- Can absorb up to 10 times their weight
- 840 gsm towels with high strength and reliability
- Completely lint-free
- Quite soft and delicate, does not scratch paint
6. Sinland Ultra Thick Plush Microfiber Car Cleaning Towels
Sinland Ultra Thick microfiber towels are a great pick for the ones that are looking for a good deal. They are inexpensive and come in packs of 2. Both towels are thick and soft and will not scratch paint or leave lint behind.
The towels were made for drying above anything else. They can absorb up to 10 times their weight in liquid which is quite impressive. They can also be used to remove was, sealants or other types of contaminants found on the paint.
Similar to most other microfiber towels, Sinland made theirs to be very delicate and protect the paint. They are non-abrasive and to not leave any lint on the paint. The towels are machine wash safe and quite durable. They will be able to handle many wash cycles.
- Available in multi-packs and two different sizes
- Absorbs up to 10 times their weight in liquid
- Does not scratch surfaces
- Completely light-free even after many wash cycles
5. Chemical Guys El Gordo Professional Extra Thick Supra Microfiber Towels
Chemical Guys El Gordo professional microfiber towels are a must have for every individual that cares about his car. It is a premium towel made from high quality microfiber cloth that will last long and provide excellent results.
The towel has silk banded edges which solves the problem that other towels have. Silk banded edges means that it will not scratch the paint. They are also machine washable and ca survive for many wash cycles before tearing down.
For the money, users will get 6 towels of 16.5 by 16.5 inches. This makes the price per towel quite low. They are available also in packs of 12 which offer an even better deal. All of them are scratch free, swirl free and do not leave lint marks on the car.
- Swirl, scratch and lint free
- Inexpensive especially when purchased in multi-packs
- Long lasting and machine wash safe
- Soft silk banded edges
4. Chemical Guys Waffle Weave Gray Matter Microfiber Drying Towel
The ones that need a reliable microfiber towel that can absorb a lot of water may want to check the Chemical Guys Waffle Weave towel. It is a premium product that is not that expensive and which can be used for pretty much any type of work involving cleaning a car.
The towel is quite large which is why it is a bit more expensive than other towels. It measures 25 by 36 inches and can absorb up to 9 times its weight in water. Unlike other towels, it does not have the same plush and soft design but it is still soft enough not to damage the paint or glass.
Looking at other particularities of the towel, it was made with silk banded edges to help make it softer and avoid scratching paint. It is also machine wash safe and quite resilient. As expected, it does not leave swirl marks or lint on the paint.
- Silk banded edges
- Quite large compared to other microfiber towels
- Can absorb up to 9 times its weight in water
- Swirl-free, scratch-free, lint-free
3. DII Microfiber Multi-Purpose Cleaning Towels
DII microfiber cleaning towels are more of an all-purpose product. Even if they are not specifically made for cars, they are still good for removing contaminants off the car paint. They are cheap, quite soft and good enough for pretty much anything including for drying.
The towels, have a good absorption rate as they can retain up to 7 times their weight in liquid with the aid of the capillary effect of the microfiber. They also retain dust and contaminant particles including grease.
One thing that makes the microfiber towels from DII stand out is that they come in a wide range of colors and patterns. They are shipped in sets of 4 and measure 16 by 19 inches each. All of them have soft edges and do not leave swirls or lint behind.
- Inexpensive, comes in packs of 4
- Can absorb up to 7 times their weight in water
- Retains grease, dirt or dust
- Does not leave swirl marks or lint on the paint
2. Chemical Guys Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Towel
Chemical Guys professional premium microfiber towels are a bit more expensive than most other products in our list but they are also quite popular due to their quality and reliability. Most professionals prefer using the Chemical Guys towels.
The towels themselves are quite thick and heavy. They were made to clean and retain impurities in both wet and dry conditions. For drying, they are not that great as they do not absorb all that much waters but for cleaning they work great as they were made for cleaning jobs.
To ensure that it will not scratch the paint, the towels have silk banded edges. They are easy to clean as they are machine washable and very convenient to use as they do not leave any swirl marks, scratches or the annoying lint.
- Premium grade quality available in several sizes and colors
- Long lasting fabric even after many wash cycles
- Swirl, scratch and lint-free
- Designed for cleaning under wet and dry conditions
1. Meguiar’s X2000 Water Magnet Microfiber Drying Towel
The Meguiar’s X2000 drying towel is one of the best microfiber towels that money can buy. It is an extremely popular product mainly due to its quality and how well it absorbs water. According to the manufacturers, it can absorb up to two times what regular drying towels would.
Since it is a microfiber towel, it is very soft and will not leave lint lingering around on the paint. It will not scratch the paint and does not leave swirl marks. It is worth noting that the towel comes in a standard size of 22 by 30 inches which is enough to dry a regular size car.
Like most other towels in our list, the Meguiar’s X2000 is easy to clean as it is machine washable. The towel can retain impurities such as dirt or dust and does a good job at cleaning grease. It is a great pick for the ones that wish to remove the wax layer off their car.
- Can absorb two times more water than regular microfiber towels
- Retains impurities such as dust, dirt or grease
- Does not leave lint, swirl or scratches on the paint
- Available in one standard size of 22 by 30 inches
Things to keep in mind when looking for the best microfiber towels for cars
There are several types of microfiber towels for cars depending on how and what they will be used for. How they are made, the thickness, softness and weight depend on the type of towel. There are some clear differences between them which is why some sell better than others.
Usually, any microfiber towel will do but it is better to know what they are needed for and get the right one. For this reason, we will highlight a few things worth keeping in mind when comparing different microfiber towels for cars and what it is important to look out for.
- Type of towel. Drying towels are usually thicker, and manufacturers clearly state what they should be used for. These towels will absorb their weight in liquid many times over. Buffing or cleaning towels on the other hand are different and do a very poor job at retaining liquid.
- Towel edges and softness. Not all towels have silk banded edges or soft edges. It is important to get soft towels without any rough edges to avoid creating scratches on the paint.
- Towel quality. A high quality needs to have several qualities. They should not leave any swirl marks or leave lint on the paint. Usually, manufacturers that offer high quality towels will clearly state this aspect.
If we were to sum up everything and draw a conclusion when it comes to what is the most important quality of a microfiber towel is their softness and ability to not scratch the paint or leave traces of lint. These aspects matter the most and it is why microfiber beats any other type of fabric.
As far as getting a towel to clean a car manually, it is important to buy several different ones. It is recommended to get at least a drying towel and a cleaning towel. They are the not the same and there is no universal towel that can be used for everything.